Call for 5-minute plays/monologues!
Cone Man Running Productions is announcing open submissions for the fifth iteration of our series ‘Five Minute Mile – Theatre on the Run.’ The series will perform at Cone Man Running’s space at Spring Street Studios in Houston, Texas. The show will run from May 28-June 13, 2019.
Michael Weems will serve as Artistic Director.
We will be again staging this one-of-a-kind theatre festival. Each evening, twenty (20) plays will be performed off book by a core ensemble of actors. Eight (8) of those plays will be set for each evening, six (6) will be drawn at random by audience members and the last six (6) will be voted on by the audience (based on title, the blurb you provide, and word of mouth). Every night will be a different experience!
• Submissions will be accepted from Sunday December 1st, 2019 – Friday January 31st, 2020 at midnight.
• This festival is open to writers from any corner of the globe. English language plays only.
• Five-minute plays or monologues - comedies or dramatic work. No scenes or parts of other plays. We’re looking for compact plays/monologues with a start, middle, and end.
• For plays, no less than 3 pages and no more than 4 pages (12 pt font and 1” margins), for monologues, no more than 1.5 full pages (12 pt font and 1” margins). There are no exceptions to this rule.
• Please include a short blurb (one to two sentences) describing your play.
• No works that have been published by a licensed publisher. Academic or anthology publications for which you hold the copyright are okay. If your play is optioned for publication prior to the production dates, please contact us as this will make your play ineligible for our festival.
• Previous productions okay if not staged within Houston, Texas. Previously submitted work is okay to submit, as long as it was not staged in one of our previous Five Minute Mile series.
• Minimal set and properties. Presume having no more than a few chairs and a table, very limited properties, and include no lighting cues other than ‘lights up/down’.
• No musicals, screenplays, adaptations, or theater for young audiences.
• Maximum of five (5) submissions per playwright - however no more than two (2) pieces by a playwright will be potentially staged. If you have co-authored a work, this counts as one of your five submissions for each writer.
• Please submit all files in only: MS word or pdf. Please do not send Drop Box or other cloud based links. Email submissions only.
• Please note, all plays will be photographed and recorded for archival and marketing purposes. In submitting your work, you acknowledge and allow for your show to be recorded and photographed.
• Please do not include any identifying information on your script – in your cover letter/email please list your name, phone number, email address, physical address and your play’s title and blurb.
• We will not provide any feedback on scripts.
• From the submissions, 50-75 plays will be shortlisted as semi-finalists and will be read by our committee. We plan to announce the selected final thirty-two (32) plays by Sunday March 1st, 2020. The selected plays will be listed on our Facebook page and webpage (both listed below) on this date.
• No submission fee.
• Cone Man Running reserves the right to decline scripts for any reason we see fit and any submissions that do not meet all guidelines will be ineligible and immediately deleted without response.
• If one of your plays are selected and you are able to attend, you will be provided with two complimentary tickets to the show. As a volunteer organization, we will be unable to provide any royalty or compensation/funding towards transportation or lodging, if you choose to attend. Your show will be guaranteed a minimum of two performances. If the playwright can attend, we will work with them to assure their play is one of the set plays performed that evening.
• Please submit all the requested materials to