SUBMISSION PERIOD OPEN!
Submissions due by November 18th at noon!
Email your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call for 5-minute plays/monologues!
Cone Man Running Productions is announcing a nationwide call for the third iteration of our series ‘Five Minute Mile – Theatre on the Run.’ The series will perform Studio 101 in Houston Texas on March 28 - April 13, 2019. Michael Weems will serve as Artistic Director for the series.
We will be again staging this one-of-a-kind theatre festival. Each evening, twenty (20) plays will be performed off book by a core ensemble of actors. Eight (8) of those plays will be set for each evening, six (6) will be drawn at random by audience members and the last six (6) will be voted on by the audience (based on title, the blurb you provide, and word of mouth). Every night will be a different experience!
• Submissions will be accepted from Saturday September 1st through Sunday November 18th- 12pm noon (CST)
• This festival is open to current residents of the United States. English language plays only.
• Five-minute plays or monologues. No scenes or parts of other plays. We’re looking for compact plays/monologues with a start, middle, and end. Special note for monologues: PLEASE take the time to read them out loud, time them, and allow for inflection and beats.
• For plays, no less than 3 pages and no more than 4 pages (12 pt font and 1” margins), for monologues, no more than 1.5 full pages (12 pt font and 1” margins). There are no exceptions to this rule.
• Please include a short blurb (one to two sentences) describing your play.
• No works that have been published by a licensed publisher. Academic or anthology publications for which you hold the copyright are okay. If your play is optioned for publication prior to the production dates, please contact us ASAP as this will make your play ineligible for our purposes.
• Previous productions okay if not staged within Texas.
• No work that has been submitted previously to Cone Man Running or Five Minute Mile, even if revised or significantly rewritten.
• Minimal set and properties. Presume having no more than a few chairs and a table, very limited properties, and include no lighting cues other than ‘lights up/down’.
• No musicals, screenplays, adaptations, or theater for young audiences.
• Three (3) submissions per playwright - however no more than two (2) pieces by a playwright will be potentially staged. If you have co-authored a work, this counts as one of your three submissions for each writer.
• Please submit all files in only: MS word or pdf.
• Please note, all plays will be photographed and recorded for archival and marketing purposes. In submitting your work, you acknowledge and allow for your show to be recorded and photographed.
• Please do not include any identifying information on your script – in your cover letter/email please list your name, phone number, email address, physical address and your play’s title and blurb.
• We will not provide any feedback on scripts.
Special Note: Any submissions that to not meet all guidelines will be ineligible and immediately deleted without response.
• From the submissions, 50-75 plays will be shortlisted as semi-finalists and will be read by our committee. We plan to announce the selected final thirty-two (32) plays by Sunday, December 16th, 2018. The selected plays will be listed on our Facebook page and webpage (both listed below) on this date.
• No submission fee.
• Cone Man Running reserves the right to decline scripts for any reason we see fit.
• If one of your plays are selected and you are able to attend, you will be provided with two complimentary tickets to the show. As a volunteer organization, we will be unable to provide any royalty or compensation/funding towards transportation or lodging, if you choose to attend. Your show will be guaranteed a minimum of two performances. If the playwright can attend, we will work with them to assure their play is one of the set plays performed that evening.
• Please submit all the requested materials to email@example.com
Email submissions only.